Preventable injuries are one of the largest burdens on the health care system, with estimated costs of almost $1.7 billion a year to the Atlantic provinces. In addition, they’re the leading cause of death for Atlantic Canadians aged 1-44 years according to WorkSafeNB.
Preventable is a collaborative and innovative partnership between businesses, government, and community groups whose combined energy, effort, and resources are focused on building awareness, shifting attitudes, and changing behaviours towards the causes of serious preventable injuries.
The following Atlantic community leaders help Preventable to raise awareness and change attitudes about preventable injuries in Atlantic Canada:
- Atlantic Worker’s Compensation Organizations
- Chalmers Hospital Foundation
- New Brunswick Medical Society
- New Brunswick Trauma Program
- Newfoundland and Labrador Injury Prevention Coalition
- Government of Newfoundland and Labrador
- Government of Nova Scotia
- Government of Prince Edward Island
- Insurance Bureau of Canada
- Saint John Regional Hospital Foundation
Contact Jennifer Russell, executive director Atlantic Collaborative on Injury Prevention at [email protected] to learn more.