The Interior Designers of Canada celebrated the value of design and top interior designers who have pushed new boundaries with its inaugural Value of Design Awards (VODA). The awards were presented at IDC’s Design Symposium held in Toronto.
Focused around this year’s theme of design thinking, the VODA recognized interior designers from across Canada who are at the forefront of design thinking. These interior designers have implemented an empathetic, inventive and iterative process, focused on the human experience into their projects; creating sustainable and functional designs for the present and future.
“The Value of Design Awards set a new, higher bar for the evaluation of design work in Canada. This is done by designers identifying human needs, business drivers and the resultant inspirations to clarify and demonstrate how design can change the human experience.” says VODA judge, Theo West-Parks.
The 2018 winners are:
Award of Excellence
- Innovation in Hospitality Design: Studio Munge – Bisha (Alessandro Munge)
- Innovation in Workplace Design: Figure3 – OMERS Project One (Allan Guinan, Suzanne Bettencourt, Daniel Norwood, Susan Jefferson)
- Innovation in Residential Single Family: Casey Design l Planning Group Inc. – Pear Tree Farm (Theresa Casey, Craig Crane)
- Innovation in Design Thinking: Figure3 – Freedom 55 Financial Centre Redesign (Suzanne Bettencourt, Carly Block-Marcus, Vanessa Tantalo)
- Innovation in Institutional/Educational/Civic Design: Gow Hastings Architects – Ryerson University Student ServiceHub (Valerie Gow)
- Innovation in Retail Design: Ruscio Studio Inc. – Crave (Siavash Madani)
Award of Merit
- Innovation in Design Thinking: Quadrangle – 100 Broadview Lobby (Caroline Robbie, Julie Mroczkowski)
- Innovation in Workplace Design: HOK, Inc. – EY Toronto Client Experience Centre (Daniela Barbon, Lori Urwin)
- Innovation in Workplace Design: Figure3 – Freedom 55 – Financial Centre Redesign (Suzanne Bettencourt, Carly Block-Marcus, Vaness Tantalo)
- Innovation in Residential Single Family: Geralynne Mitschke Design – Modern View Home (Geralynne Mitschke)
- Innovation in Institutional/Educational/Civic Design: Kearns Mancini Architects – Ryerson University REAL Institute (Donna Dolan)
- Innovation in Workplace Design: B+H Architects – TMX – 100 Adelaide (Peter Heys, David Zhou, Adrian Berry, Edward Tsang, Leanne Washuta, Stephanie Holyoke)
- Innovation in Institutional/Educational/Civic Design: MJMA – University of British Columbia Aquatic Centre (Tarisha Dolyniuk)