The salt, slush, and debris that winter brings require daily cleaning and attention. Research shows that one square yard of carpet can accumulate one pound of dirt in one week, and that amount could double with inclement weather. Keeping carpets clean in the winter can be a challenge, but with regular maintenance, your carpets can look throughout the year.
Stay on top of the condition of your carpets to lengthen their life expectancy and save money on repair, replacement, and labour. Paying daily attention to your flooring can save you time and money in the long run, here are some of the ways you can clean and maintain your carpets regularly through the winter:
- Determine areas of highest concern, factoring in flooring colour, traffic, and level of cleanliness Prioritize based on these factors for better results and more efficient labour management.
- Ensure that you have all the supplies and equipment on hand at all times so you don’t fall behind with your cleaning schedule. Keep a detailed inventory so you know that you have what you need when you need it.
- Adding matting to your entrances and high-traffic areas can hold onto much of the debris carried in, saving it from tracking through your building throughout the season. Keep these mats clean and dry to discourage dirt from travelling through your building and avoid mould growing, which can affect the staff and visitors in your building.
- Address each type of carpet with the right tools and processes for simpler, faster maintenance. For example, nylon carpeting can be maintained daily with vacuuming, while polyester benefits most from hot water extraction with a walk-behind or spot extractor.
- Daily spot removal is also important so that stains do not set in, becoming difficult to remove later and potentially requiring costly treatment.
Investing daily in cleaning your carpets will keep them lasting longer, make your cleaning practices more efficient, and spare the rest of your flooring from dirt and debris, saving you time and money.