fire safety

Condo fire causes $16.3-mil in damage

Monday, June 1, 2015

Edmonton Fire Chief Ken Block cautioned citizens about the increasing risk of smoking materials on balconies of large wood-framed, combustible buildings after a condo fire caused $16.3-million in damage. Chief Block said in a press release that the blaze — the city’s second in less than a year caused by improperly disposed of smoking material — was “completely preventable.”

“I am calling on Edmontonians to take responsibility for their actions related to fire use and to exercise good fire prevention practices at all times,” he said.

Edmonton Fire Rescue flagged the greater risks posed to the public and property by large condo building fires. Vigilant fire safety practices include proper barbecue maintenance and safe disposal of smoking materials.

The most recent blaze caused by improper disposal of smoking material started just before 5 p.m. on Friday, May 22. It took Edmonton Fire Rescue about three hours to tame the flames of the three-alarm fire.

Emergency Medical Services transported one citizen who sustained minor injuries to hospital and two firefighters received treatment for minor injuries on the scene. Ultimately, the blaze destroyed most of the four-story Avenue complex at 301 Clareview Station Dr. W.

“Fire Rescue Services would like to acknowledge the profound impact a fire of this magnitude has on the people affected,” said Chief Block. “Our thoughts are with the families impacted as they deal with this significant loss.”