Kohler Signature is the first company in the U.S. to receive LEED v4 Interior Design + Construction: Retail certification.
Kohler Signature by Expressions Home Gallery, a 2,822-square-foot retail space and headquarters located at 3250 Helms Ave. in Culver City, California, is also the 11th project in the world to be certified under the LEED v4 Interior Design + Construction: Retail rating system by the U.S. Green Building Council.
“As a proven leader in sustainability, it was no surprise that Kohler decided to pursue the more stringent certification utilizing the newest version of LEED for Commercial Interiors,” said Allan Skodowski, senior vice-president and director of LEED and sustainability at Transwestern Sustainability Services, which assisted Kohler Signature throughout the process.
Kohler implemented a variety of improvements including:
- Reducing lighting power density while maintaining adequate lighting levels within the office space by installing no-mercury LED lamps and fixtures.
- Connecting 36 per cent of the lighting load to daylight controls and more than 95 per cent to occupancy controls.
- Retrofitting base building plumbing fixtures to low-flow water closets, urinals and automatic lavatory faucets, resulting in a 36 per cent decrease in potable water usage.
- Functional testing of all energy systems in the project space to ensure they were installed, calibrated and performing to the owner’s project requirements, basis of design and construction documents.
- Purchasing ENERGY STAR-rated products for more than 96 per cent of equipment and appliances used in the retail and office space.