short-term rentals

Licenses needed for short-term rentals in Vaughan

Monday, January 20, 2020

The City of Vaughan is regulating its short-term rental market after a bunch of public consultations that started in 2018.

Homeowners, tenants and lessees can now offer short-term rentals (no more than 29 consecutive nights) as long as a license is obtained. Business, such as Airbnb and Expedia, must also apply for a license and renew it every year.

Before sending in an application, necessary documents and a fee, owners must first register for a Municipal Accommodation Tax number. Application forms and user guides are available online and at the By-law and Compliance, Licensing and Permit Services counter at Vaughan City Hall.

Once a license is obtained, a number of rules must be followed, such as making sure the home complies, at all times, with the Ontario Building Code and Ontario Fire Code, including maximum occupancy.

Visit for more information.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *