ASHRAE has revealed design details of its new net-zero energy efficient headquarters building located at 180 Technology Parkway in metro Atlanta, Georgia.
The two-story building, including a partial basement, will be designed to provide space for approximately 125 occupants and will have a serviceable life of at least 50 years. Selected materials will be capable of withstanding Atlanta’s hot, humid weather conditions.
According to the press release, some other key project goals are:
- To demonstrate how to transform older existing buildings from dated workplace environments to high-performance workplace environments;
- To showcase an affordable, net-zero energy strategy;
- To provide energy, demand and environmental data from HQ building through web interface;
- To provide additional sensors and monitoring capability in spaces such as conference rooms, so the data obtained can support investigations and experimental work for ASHRAE research. This includes electronic data storage and manipulation capability and a meteorological monitoring station;
- To showcase an ASHRAE Building EQ A+ rating;
- To provide a building environment that sets new standards for worker productivity and wellness through superior visual acuity, daylight, acoustics, thermal comfort and air quality.
“ASHRAE’s global headquarters will inspire our industry to incorporate energy-efficient and environmentally sustainable practices that reflect an understanding of the high-performance building movement,” said Jeff Littleton, ASHRAE executive vice-president.
“The new web presence will provide a step-by-step look into this design project and give visitors an engaging view of ASHRAE’s vision and goals.”
The renovation project is overseen by both a building ad hoc and a technical committee comprised of ASHRAE volunteers. McLennan Design, Houser Walker Architecture and Integral Group have been selected as the design team. The project team also includes Collins Project Management (project management), Skanska (construction manager at risk) and Epsten Group (commissioning agent).
ASHRAE will move to the new headquarters in October 2020.
Image courtesy of ASHRAE.