ACEC-BC has been honouring the best of consulting engineering firms and individuals through its ACEC-BC Awards program since 1989. The association received 60 nominations for the 2021 awards.
“This year, perhaps more than any other, is a time to recognize the contributions consulting engineering firms make every year,” says Caroline Andrewes P.Eng., ACEC-BC president and CEO. “Our award recipients – individuals and organizations – are a testament to the consulting engineering profession, to our membership’s shared belief we are better together, and our deep-rooted commitment to our professional community and the communities where we work.”
The Awards for Engineering Excellence recognize technical excellence and innovation in consulting engineering projects. Projects nominated are located in the Central Interior, the Lower Mainland, in Northern B.C., and on Vancouver Island; in Yukon, Alberta, and Saskatchewan; and throughout the United States of America.
The top prize, the Lieutenant Governor’s Award for Engineering Excellence, was awarded to SNC-Lavalin (TYLI-IBT-SLI Joint Venture) for the new Bridge for the Saint Lawrence Corridor project.
Award of Excellence winners:
- Fast & Epp, Tsleil-Waututh Administration and Health Centre (Buildings)
- Associated Engineering, Dawson City Water Treatment Plant (Municipal & Civil Infrastructure)
- McElhanney, A Balancing Act – Bringing the Bayonne Bridge into the modern age (Transportation & Bridges)
- McElhanney, LNGC Offsite Habitat Offsets – Anderson Creek Fishway (Natural Resource & Habitat)
- Parsons, Transportation Trade Network Analysis Study (Soft Engineering)
- McElhanney, A Tight Squeeze – Comox Valley Watermain Leak Drama (Projects under $2.5 Million)
The City of Burnaby receives the Client of the Year Award, recognizing the benefits that result from positive collaboration and good client relationships. And Mott Macdonald is the organizational recipient of ACEC-BC’s first Equity, Diversity & Inclusion Award.
ACEC-BC and its members also recognize individuals for career contributions to the consulting engineering profession, industry, and the broader community.
Meritorious Achievement Award: Steve Fleck P.Eng., MBA, Stantec’s executive vice president, chief practice and project officer.
Young Professional Award: Siobhan Robinson P.Eng., M.A.Sc., project engineer at Kerr Wood Leidel Associates Ltd.
Equity, Diversity & Inclusion Award: Chunpreet Sahota P.Eng., structural engineer at WSP Canada Inc., is recognized with this first annual individual award.