To cope with the economic fallout of COVID-19, the province of Alberta announced that it has unveiled a new Alberta advisory council that includes former Prime Minister Stephen Harper and Bob Dhillon, CEO of Mainstreet Equity Corp, among other notable members.
Led by economist Jack Mintz, the 12-member panel will be advising Premier Jason Kenney on issues surrounding the province’s economic recovery as it grapples with a severe downturn caused by the rapidly spreading virus and slumping energy prices.
“I was honoured to join other Albertans, including former Prime Minister Stephen Harper in being appointed to Premier Jason Kenney’s Economic Recovery Council,” Bob Dhillon commented via Twitter. “We face a challenging time, but we believe Alberta will pull through this stronger than before.”
Other business leaders on the Alberta advisory council include:
- WestJet co-founder Clive Beddoe
- ATCO chief executive Nancy Southern
- Mac Van Wielingen, founder of ARC Financial
- Brent Blezberg, founder of TorQuest Partners
- Chris Fowler, CEO of Canadian Western Bank
- Kevin Uebelein, CEO of Alberta Investment Management Corp.
- Bob Blakely of Canada’s Building Trades Union
- Zainul Mawji, president of Telus Home Solutions
- Peter Kiss, president and chief executive officer of Morgan Construction and Environmental