The Canadian Wood Council (CWC) has announced the 2018 Wood Design & Building Award winners. Submissions to the awards program were thoughtful in design and highlighted wood’s aesthetic and structurally diverse capabilities.
The Wood Design & Building Awards program is a unique opportunity to recognize exceptional wood buildings and celebrate design teams that continually challenge the possibilities for wood in construction.
A revered architectural jury hand-selected the winning projects at the end of December 2018. The jury consisted of: Shelley Craig, principal at Urban Arts Architecture; Paul Masi, principal at Bates Masi Architects; and Andrew Frontini, principal at Perkins + Will.
“The longevity of our prestigious Wood Design & Building Awards program is a testament to the innovation that exists for the wood products industry,” explained Etienne Lalonde, vice-president of CWC Market Development. “The quality of submissions received is paramount and a true reflection of the sophistication and refinement that is forever evolving for the wood industry.”
The award recipients for the 2018 Wood Design & Building Awards program are:
- The Marine Education Center at the Gulf Coast Research Laboratory, Ocean Springs, Mississippi, Lake|Flato Architects with Associate Architect unabridged Architecture
- Calgary Central Library (and Wood Soffit), Calgary, Alberta , Dialog Design with Snohetta
- Henry David Thoreau Footbridge, Washington Depot, Connecticut, Gray Organschi Architecture
- Chile Pavilion Expo Milan 2015 – Second Life, Temuco, Chile, Undurraga Deves Arquitectos
- New headquarters FINSA, Santiago de Compostela, Spain, mrm+a architects
- Forest Home, Helsinki, Finland, ORTRAUM architects
- Voltigeurs de Québec Armoury, Quebec City, Quebec, A49 / DFS / STGM, architects in consortium
- Backyard House, Seattle, Washington, Robert Hutchison Architecture
- Common Ground High School, New Haven, Connecticut, Gray Organschi Architecture
- Shonai Hotel Suiden Terrasse, Tsuruoka City, Japan, Shigeru Ban Architects
- Collège Simone Veil, Lamballe, France, Dietrich | Untertrifaller with Colas Durand
- Indian Residential School History and Dialogue Centre, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Formline Architecture
- High Horse Ranch, Willits, California , Kieran Timberlake
- First Tech Federal Credit Union, Hillsboro, Oregon, Hacker
- Harbour building WVIjburg, Amsterdam, the Netherlands, Margulis Moormaan Architects
CANADIAN WOOD COUNCIL AWARDS
- Shane Homes YMCA at Rocky Ridge, Calgary, Alberta, GEC Architecture
- John W. Olver Design Building, Amherst, Massachusetts, Leers Weinzapfel Associates
- House on Ancaster Creek, Ancaster, Ontario, Williamson Williamson Inc.
- Lake Rosseau Boathouse, Muskoka, Ontario, Atelier Kastelic Buffey
For full list of winners, visit Canadian Wood Council