Six employers in B.C. were recognized with the inaugural Builders Code Champion Awards for supporting tradeswomen, workplace diversity and positive worksite culture.
The British Columbia Construction Association (BCCA) and Minerva B.C. hosted the inaugural Builders Code Champion Awards at a ceremony on Nov 28 in Victoria to recognize the B.C. companies for their work to implement the code.
The award categories and winners were:
- Recruiting & Hiring Champion: RAM Consulting Ltd. (Vancouver);
- Workplace Culture Champion: Scott Construction Group (Vancouver) and Kinetic Construction (Victoria);
- Community Champion: Westcana Electric (Prince George);
- Initiate of the Year: Durwest Construction Management (Victoria); and
- Contractor of the Year: Westcana Electric (Prince George) and Chinook Scaffold Systems (Nanaimo).
To be recognized as a Builders Code Champion, individuals and organizations must have demonstrated their commitment, leadership, and action towards advancing and retaining women in their company and achieving the provincial goal of 10 per cent tradeswomen by 2028.
“On behalf of everyone at BCCA, Minerva BC and all our Builders Code partners, I want to thank our winners for their support of the Builders Code and congratulate them for creating and maintaining outstanding workplaces that support the safety and protection of all employees,” said Chris Atchison, president, BCCA. “As an industry facing a serious labour shortage, the retention of tradespeople, and especially tradeswomen, in our sector is critical. By demonstrating their commitment to their workforce, our winners have distinguished themselves as outstanding role models in the construction industry.”
Nomination applications were accepted from May to November 1, 2019, with winners selected by a judging panel comprised of Minerva BC, the BCCA and the Builders Code Governance Committee.